Gershwin: Complete Piano Works Maurizio Zaccaria
Label: Aevea Classics
Artist: Maurizio Zaccaria
Composer: George Gershwin (1898-1937)
Album including Album cover
- George Gershwin (1898 - 1937):
- 1George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 1. Clap Yo' Hands00:46
- 2George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 2. Do-Do-Do00:56
- 3George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 3. Do It Again01:29
- 4George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 4. Fascinating Rhythm00:56
- 5George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 5. I Got Rhythm01:08
- 6George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 6. I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise00:45
- 7Porgy and Bess, Act I: Jazzbo Brown Blues (version for piano)01:21
- 8George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 7. Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)02:43
- 9George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 8. The Man I Love02:01
- 10George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 9. My One and Only00:57
- 11George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 10. Nobody But You00:45
- 12George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 11. Oh, Lady Be Good01:09
- 13George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 12. Somebody Loves Me01:11
- 14Impromptu in 2 Keys01:13
- 153 Preludes: No. 1 in B-Flat Major: Allegro ben ritmato e deciso01:22
- 163 Preludes: No. 2 in C-Sharp Minor: Blue Lullaby: Andante con moto e poco rubato03:54
- 173 Preludes: No. 3 in E-Flat Minor: Spanish Prelude: Allegro ben ritmato e deciso01:06
- 18Promenade, "Walking the Dog" (version for piano)02:50
- 19Novelette in Fourths02:23
- 20Prelude (unnumbered)00:53
- 21Prelude (fragment)00:25
- 22Melody No. 17, "Sleepless Night"02:07
- 23Rosalie: Merry Andrew (arr. for piano)01:18
- 24Rhapsody in Blue (version for piano)13:32
- 25Rialto Ripples01:59
- 26George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 13. Strike Up the Band01:03
- 27George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 14. Swanee00:39
- 28George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 15. Sweet and Low-Down01:06
- 29George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 16. 'S Wonderful01:24
- 30George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 17. That Certain Feeling01:32
- 31George Gershwin's Song-Book: No. 18. Who Cares? (So Long As You Care for Me)01:36
- 32Swiss Miss02:46
- 33Three-Quarter Blues, "Irish Waltz"00:48
- 342 Waltzes in C Major03:43
Info for Gershwin: Complete Piano Works
The complete published works by Gershwin are quite extraordinary for their invention. His jazz bubbles over with clever ideas for piano (Gershwin was, after all, a true virtuoso of the piano). His compositions have an abundance of colours and genres that blend, bind and burst into new and spacious musical language.
Young talent, Maurizio Zaccaria (AE16003 J. Massenet: Integrale Piano Works), plays with a secure and natural touch. The album - and also the album in HD 88.2/24-bits - includes the transcriptions of the Gershwin' Songs (18), the Three Preludes, the Uncategorised Preludes, the pianistic transcription (by the composer) of the famous 'Rhapsody in Blue', the innovative (Double) Waltzes, and some other pieces, including original transcriptions from 'Porgy and Bess', 'Shall We Dance', and 'Rosalie'.
The recording is fully natural with no mastering additions, made with 4 microphones (2 close, 2 far).
Maurizio Zaccaria, piano
After a diploma in piano at "Niccola Piccinni" Conservatory of Music in Bari under the guidance of Gregorio Goffredo and a master at "Nino Rota" Conservatory of Music in Monopoli under the guidance of Benedetto Lupo, he attended the masterclasses of Marisa Somma, Cristian Zaccarias, Joaquin Achucarro, Francois J. Thiollier, Konstantin Bogino et Aldo Ciccolini.
He went on to win several national and international piano competitions: Rachmaninoff International Piano Competition, Liszt International Piano Competition (the famous Argentine pianist Martha Argerich was in the jury), Thalberg International Piano Competition, International Music Competition in Ibla, "San Nicolaus" International Piano Competition International, Piano Festival in Osnabruch (Germania), Cliburn Piano Competition in Texas (USA). In 2008 he was awarded the "Umanitaria" Society price in Milan (president Maestro Abbado); during the same year he was also awarded the Arts Price of the Italian Cultural Ministry, after which he played at the Parco della Musica in Rome. He plays in Italy and abroad in some important halls: Auditorium della Radio Televisione Svizzera (Lugano); Salle Cortot (Paris); Institut Italien de Culture (Paris); Sala Gaber (Milan); Parco della Musica (Rome); Sala Scarlatti (Naples); Teatro delle Muse (Ancona); Teatro Piccinni et Kursaal Santa Lucia (Bari); Teatro Bibiena (Mantova); Villa Ruffolo (Ravello); Teatro Wan Vesterhout (Mola di Bari); Auditorium V. Falco (playing two pianos with Aldo Ciccolini); Teatro Curci (Bari). Maurizio Zaccaria plays for important associations: Fondazione Petruzzelli (Bari); URTIcanti contemporary music festival; Ravello festival; PianoFestival (Grosseto); A.R.A.M. (Rome); Gaeta Festival; Accademia dei Cameristi (Bari). In March 2007 he debuted in the USA, during a series of concerts playing Bartok's compositions, among which his Sonata for two pianos and percussions. His last concerts with Bari Concert Society orchestra and Taranto Magna Grecia orchestra, respectively devoted to Shostakovic's Concerto Op. 35 and Rachmaninoff's Third Concerto Op. 30 have fascinated audience and critics. He played as a soloist with Petruzzelli Symphonic Orchestra, (Bari), "Nino Rota" orchestra (Monopoli, Bari) conducted by Filippo Maria Bressan, with Cosenza Symphonic orchestra, Bacau symphonic orchestra, Matera Duni Orchestra (there he played Gershwin's best symphonic pieces for piano, Concerto in Fa and Rapsody in Blue) and with Bari Metropolitan Symphonic orchestra. He was invited by the Italian embassy in Pogdorica where he played music by Fauré, Debussy and Schostakovic. He is also a composer, and he debuted some compositions by Goeffroy Drouin, Luca Lombardi, Lera Auerbach, Luca Mosca, Andrea Marena and Fabio Vacchi. He also pays chamber music and he collaborates with flutist Leonardo Grittani.
This album contains no booklet.